WCVA has responded to the consultation on the Local Government and Elections (Wales) Bill.
In our response, we noted that:
- We welcome the extension of the vote to 16 and 17-year olds and foreign citizens legally resident in Wales, but there is potential for confusion in changes to local authority electoral arrangements.
- More consideration needs to be given to how people are added to the Electoral Register.
- Communities must be engaged in development of Public Participation Strategies.
- How Regional Partnership Boards will be expected to work alongside Corporate Joint Committees remains unclear.
- Organisations delivering services cross-region must be engaged with during any merging of local authorities