New course dates coming soon!
Delivered through the medium of English
This training course will enable you to cost the services provided by your organisation, and to produce and monitor budgets and cash flows.
In the current funding climate, unfortunately charities and other voluntary organisations have to compete for income to stay afloat. Anyone who’s ever been unsuccessful in a funding application will know that it’s more vital than ever to demonstrate cost effectiveness and be realistic in your grant bids.
Funders will want to see evidence that you’ve taken every cost into consideration and have robust structures in place to organise your budgets so that you are keeping track of every penny.
This training course can help you learn how to cost your services in full and increase the likelihood of gaining enough funding for your organisation.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
Session 1 – 10 am to 1 pm
- Define the term “cost”.
- Classify costs into fixed or variable costs and direct or indirect costs.
- Describe absorption based costing, activity based costing and marginal costing methods for dealing with overheads.
Session 2 – 10 am to 1 pm
- Understand the principles of budget preparation.
- Construct a simple cash flow forecast.
Who this course is for
Staff or trustees with specific involvement in charity financial administration.
About the trainer
Shirley David BA Hon., Dip HE, MILM is a management consultant and trainer working exclusively in the voluntary sector. Following diverse management experience in both civil service and finance sectors she managed a hospice at home service before launching Business & Employment Support & Training in 1998. B.E.S.T works with registered charities and voluntary organisations across Wales to provide training and consultancy services covering finance, personnel and general governance issues.
Consultancy projects have included finance reviews, project evaluations and personnel reviews, as well as independent examination of accounts and one-to-one mentoring. Shirley David is also a registered QuickBooks Proadvisor for both desktop and online products.
Training courses developed and delivered to the sector include Charity Financial Management, Charity Personnel Management, Legislation and Volunteer Management, People Skills (Handling Difficult Behaviour), SORP Accounting, Basic Bookkeeping, Finance and Risk Management, Trustee Training and Disability Equality Training. Shirley is also qualified to level 6 in British Sign Language, is a Trainee Sign Language Interpreter, and has delivered courses specifically for Deaf people.
Shirley has been involved in voluntary work herself all her adult life including a variety of trustee roles within charities such as Pembrokeshire Association of Voluntary Services and Pembrokeshire Sibling Group. She is currently acting as a voluntary Communication Support Worker with the Sign and Share club in Pembrokeshire and is also involved in volunteering with her local church youth activities.
To ensure you have the best experience on our courses we ask the following of you;
- Commit to attend the full duration of the training
- Test your access to Zoom
- Training will commence promptly, please arrive 10 minutes prior to the start time, as late arrivals may not admitted
- Our courses are interactive and engaging and we request where possible, that all learners have camera’s on and participate via microphone and chat facilities
- Let us know upon booking if you have any specific requirements ie BSL interpreters
- Joining instructions and resources will be blind copied from firstname.lastname@example.org, please check your Junk Email folder if you have not received them a week prior (any problems let us know)
- If you are unable to attend please email email@example.com (see our cancellation policy)
To be added to the waitlist of a course or webinar please click here.
All our courses can be delivered bespoke and tailored to meet your organisation’s needs. Please complete our bespoke training request form and a member of our team will be in touch.