New course dates coming soon!
Delivered through the medium of English
This 3-hour workshop is for people who want to increase their knowledge, skills and confidence in charity governance.
Good governance is essential to the resilience and success of your charity. This interactive online course will introduce you to the principles of good governance based on the Charity Governance Code and Charity Commission guidance.
It will help you to apply the principles of the Code to your charity’s context and provide practical tools for improving the governance of your charity.
By attending this course you will:
- Understand what is meant by ‘good governance’ in a charity context and be able to apply this to your organisation
- Understand the difference between governance and management and why this matters
- Have increased knowledge of the role and responsibilities of individual trustees
- Have increased knowledge of the role of the board (or management committee) as a group
- Have increased awareness of simple steps that can be taken to improve the governance of your charity and where to find more resources
Who the course is for?
This is an introductory course, so it is most suitable for people who are new to their governance role or who want a refresher. This will mainly be trustees, but may also include certain staff members, such as Chief Executives, governance officers, company secretaries and finance leads.
The course does assume that your charity already has at least a basic standard of governance in place to work from. For example, a written governing document and a defined board or committee who are aware that they are responsible for the governance of the charity.
If you are looking for more advanced content, our Beyond the Basics course may be more suitable.
If you think your board is currently in crisis, or experiencing serious problems with its governance, please get in touch with WCVA or your local CVC to discuss the issues before coming on this course.
To ensure you have the best experience on our courses we ask the following of you;
- Commit to attend the full duration of the training
- Test your access to Zoom
- Training will commence promptly, please arrive 10 minutes prior to the start time, as late arrivals may not admitted
- Our courses are interactive and engaging and we request where possible, that all learners have camera’s on and participate via microphone and chat facilities
- Let us know upon booking if you have any specific requirements ie BSL interpreters
- Joining instructions and resources will be blind copied from email@example.com, please check your Junk Email folder if you have not received them a week prior (any problems let us know)
- If you are unable to attend please email firstname.lastname@example.org (see our cancellation policy)
To be added to the waitlist of a course or webinar please click here.
All our courses can be delivered bespoke and tailored to meet your organisation’s needs. Please complete our bespoke training request form and a member of our team will be in touch.