The Coastal Capacity Building Scheme is funding local projects in coastal areas in Wales and bringing together partners to tackle the climate emergency.
The Coastal Capacity Building Fund will enable communities to take action in Welsh coastal areas to support nature recovery and sustainability.
The fund aims to build capacity for community partners, helping them to deliver sustainable action that supports growth and recovery in local marine and coastal areas. It will encourage collaboration between stakeholders, such as communities, businesses, local authorities and other public bodies, and build networks that foster nature recovery and rejuvenation in coastal areas.
ABOUT THE FUND
The scheme has a yearly budget of £500,000 available for projects of five months or more, with a minimum value of £20,000. All projects must be complete by 31 March 2025.
Welsh Government is funding the scheme from 2023-25, building on its investment in local nature recovery through the Local Nature Partnerships. Applications are made via the Local Nature Partnerships and WCVA is managing the funding and overall co-ordination.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Any new or existing partners with an interest in supporting their coastal communities can apply. To apply you will need to contact your Local Nature Partnership Co-ordinator who will act as the lead applicant for the funding. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A local fisherman in Connah’s Quay was interviewed as part of a pilot project to raise awareness of the benefits of getting involved with the local coastal environment
WHAT WE’LL FUND
Some examples of the kinds of activities the fund could support:
- Developing skills, knowledge and networks/partnerships to engage with marine and coastal issues
- Carrying out scoping exercises to look at reducing carbon emissions in the marine/coastal environment
- Increasing public understanding of local eco-systems and how to manage and use them responsibly
- Implementing recycling initiatives
- Conducting research into local environments and the impact of climate change
- Improving local seafood supply chains and their sustainability
- Fostering sustainable recreation and tourism
- Building understanding of how to improve water quality
- Developing environmentally friendly food packaging
FIND OUT MORE
Find out more about the Coastal Capacity Building Fund and how to apply by visiting the scheme page.