Since 2014, annual #iwill Weeks have brought together thousands of individuals and organisations to champion young people as leaders of change.
This year, #iwill Week will be taking on a brand new form – an interactive, digital Power of Youth Festival.
In the run up to #iwillWeek 2020, 16-20 November, the #iwill campaign in Wales will be asking you to…
- INSPIRE and GET INSPIRED by sharing what you are doing (as a young person or an organisation) to involve young people in social action
- LEARN from each other’s approaches and progress across different sectors and nations
- EDUCATE and INNOVATE to CREATE awesome volunteering opportunities for young people (check out our Welsh Youth Volunteering and Social Action Charter)
- CONNECT and COLLABORATE by building relationships with volunteer leaders that can help you to support the youth volunteering journey
In Wales, young people and partners from the Volunteering Wales Youth Network are bringing a uniquely Welsh contribution to the Power of Youth Festival.
To find out more about these sessions and the others being hosted across the UK visit: https://twitter.com/iwill_campaign
As part of #iwill week and the #PowerofYouth festival, we’ll be running the following online events. Please book your places via the links below:
How to start your journey to becoming a volunteer in Wales
Monday 16 November, 6 pm – 7 pm
As we all look ahead to the future and seek to design volunteering that works in Wales, the involvement of young people is vital to ensure early introductions and experiences of volunteering provide positive encounters and lead to real change. This session led by young volunteers will invite young people, volunteers and non-volunteers to explore a number of key questions on the topic of volunteering.
How can youth volunteering and the voluntary sector contribute to the implementation of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act?
Friday 20 November, 1 pm – 2 pm
Often at the forefront of demands for action on climate change, injustices and inequality, the voices and actions of young people offer hope in overcoming the challenges faced by society today and in the future. This session will invite young volunteers and voluntary organisations to consider how volunteering and the voluntary sector can help create a better world and support the achievement of the Act’s wellbeing goals.
WHAT IS THE POWER OF YOUTH FESTIVAL?
The #iwill campaign are working with young people and partners to host a packed schedule of exciting events celebrating the impact of youth social action, learning how others have made inspiring steps forward and examining the challenges we face together. As well as signing up to events coordinated directly by the #iwill team, you can host your own event and the #iwill team will add it to the programme.
WHO CAN JOIN THE FESTIVAL?
The Festival is for everyone, from young people and professionals to anyone passionate about the role of young people in creating a society which works for everyone.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED
Sign up to attend events, share them in your networks, and engage through Q&As and interactive sessions. You can also host your own event! Just let the #iwill campaign know what you’re planning with this form and they will add it to the calendar.
WHAT KIND OF DIGITAL EVENTS COULD WE HOST?
- Celebrate youth social action. Recognise the young people that you work with by providing a platform for them to tell their #PowerOfYouth stories.
- What lessons have you learned through your youth social action journey? Run a masterclass or problem-solving session for other young people or professionals.
- Challenge a decision maker to hear directly from young people. Use this guide to host a listening event between young people and sector or local leaders.
- Collaborate on shared challenges. We must work together to face an uncertain future. Who could you gather around the table to address the big issues facing young people, your organisation, or society as a whole?
These are just a few ideas! Think about what makes the most sense for you and your networks.
HOW ELSE CAN WE TAKE PART IN #IWILL WEEK?
Amplify the conversation on the #PowerOfYouth. Share a case study or a blog, create a short video or run a social media youth takeover. You can find loads of great examples here.
The #iwill campaign have developed the Power of Youth Charter as a framework for your organisation to empower more young people to shape decisions, take social action and make a positive difference. You can find out more about the charter here